Brief Program Description
REAL media is the web-based version of the evidence-based program Youth Message Development.
REAL media is a five-lesson, e-learning curriculum to prevent adolescent substance use among 13- to 15-year-olds by:
- increasing their knowledge of advertising techniques used to sell alcohol, tobacco, and other drug (ATOD) products;
- developing their counter-arguing and critical-thinking skills in response to ATOD messages;
- helping them apply these skills and techniques to create youth-driven,
anti-substance use messages.
REAL media is grounded in media literacy and social-cognitive theories, and guided by experiential-learning principles. The activities are designed to be engaging and challenging. They encourage students to reflect and offer their thoughts via open-ended questions as well as quizzes and optional depth sections where students can further explore their interests. Each level ends with an interactive challenge that allows participants to apply new skills.
REAL media is a digital adaptation of the face-to-face Youth Message Development (YMD) program that receives a rating of EFFECTIVE on a variety of evidence-based programs registries including NREPP.
Evaluation studies demonstrate that YMD:
- reduces pro-drug attitudes
- reduces intentions to use drugs
- increases ability to resist pressure to use
|Type of Program:||Prevention|
|Audience Size:||Minimum 1/NO Maximum|
|# of Lessons:||5|
|Length of Sessions:||15-25 minutes for Levels 1-4, unlimited for Level 5|
|Frequency of Implementation:||Levels are self-paced. We recommend giving youth 1-2 weeks to
complete Levels 1-4, and an additional 1-2 weeks to complete
Level 5 and create their messages.
|Duration of Implementation (in weeks)||2-4|
|Recommended intervention site (school,
|School and Community|
|Age Range||Youth ages 13-15|
|Grade||8 – 10 Grade|
|Gender||Both Male & Female|
To learn more about the REAL media program, watch this video!
REAL media includes:
Youth access to online platform, including interactive games, audio walkthrough, and challenges. Access code to online program, Access code obtained through REAL Prevention
- $5.00 per student
Teacher only license:
- Fewer than 100 students: $350
- 101 – 150 students = $500
- 151 – 300 students = $800
- More than 300 students = $1500
TRAINING REQUIREMENT (Recommended)
The second day of a 2-day training focuses on participants teaching mock lessons and receiving feedback.
- Cost: Video Conference Remote Training: $800; 1-Day On-site Training: $2,000 plus travel
- Min/Max Number of training participants: Video Conference Remote Training: Minimum 1; Maximum 2 ; On-site Training: Minimum 3; Maximum 35
SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP) YMD Profile:
National Health Education Standards and REAL media: